Questions To Ask Prospective Preschools
- Can you give me an idea of your social, emotional, and academic goals for 3, 4 and/or 5-year-olds? (Should be geared to move children along as individuals as well as groups.)
- How will my child be helped to orient to the school?
- What is the discipline policy?
- What is your teacher-child ratio?
- Are your teachers certified / or do they have Early Childhood backgrounds and / or training?
- How much communication will I have with the teacher?
- How often will I have conferences with the teacher, and when?
- How do you handle security?
Things to look at when visiting a center:
The classroom size
- Is there enough space, but not a lot of wide open space?
- Are there cozy areas for play with one or two kids?
- Are the toys in good repair/ the room clean and safety precautions taken (safety plugs, etc.)?
- Is there an easel and art supplies available to kids at free play time?
- Is there a dramatic play area?
- Is there a space for group time activity?
- Where is it? Is it accessible to kids at all times?
- Is it sized for kids or are modifications available?
- Is it clean?
- Look for safe equipment, anchored, and away from concrete areas.
- Is there an alternative play area when weather is bad?
- Is there a policy about when you can and can't go out?
The kitchen / menus
- Look for a clean setting.
- Healthy, balanced meals, nutritious snacks.