SAY - Social Advocates for Youth is a prevention and early intervention program that was developed for students in middle and high school. It is also a coaltion of community representatives working to strengthen families, youth and their communities in order to:
- Help prevent and reduce the use of alcohol and other drugs, and
- Reduce the incidence of social and behavioral health problems such as teen violence, depression and suicide.
SAY School-based Program
SAY provides prevention and early intervention services for high school students in the following school districts: Beachwood, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Heights - University Heights, Mayfield, Orange, Shaker Heights, Solon and South Euclid - Lyndhurst. Bellefaire JCB SAY master’s level social workers and counselors are located in the schools where accessibility to students is the greatest.
The SAY Coalition reaches beyond the schools and into the communities to support existing prevention programs and new initiatives that aid in strengthening families and youth. The Coalition consists of schools, parents, youth, health professionals, law enforcement, those working in the judicial system, business professionals, elected officials, and religious and community leaders. SAY Coalition offers the programs listed below.
- Student Leadership Council. Students from area high schools meet monthly and discuss teen issues, plan and participate in volunteer activities and promote events that support healthy adolescent behavior.
- Summer Leadership Institute. A three-week summer program that offers students the opportunity to cultivate leadership skills through community service.
- Parent Committee. Monthly meetings open to the public that focus on teen issues, promote parent education and community events, and provide guidance and support in connecting to teens in positive and healthy ways.
- Collaborative Group. Professionals from organizations across northeast Ohio who meet quarterly at Bellefaire JCB to share information, resources and ideas with the purpose of supporting healthy families, youth and strengthening communities.